Sunday, February 5, 2012

DIY Mexican Chorizo

It's Superbowl Sunday and I planned to make a cheesy-chorizo queso dip, only to find that our little grocery store was o-u-t of chorizo. "FINE", I said...I'll make my own!!

When you have all the ingredients, making fresh chorizo is not that daunting of a task.  I know this, because I developed a recipe for the Fishtail General Store while working there for winter employment between seasonal summer work cooking at the 4K ranch.  Ha, daunting you say...do you think I could find that recipe? "FINE", I said...I'll make my own recipe!

I know, in my heart of hearts, the end result is different than my previous work creating this recipe, but that's OK, because it's still tasty.  Use the best quality ingredients you can find. I normally use ground pork from Silvertip Pork Producers, but again, the grocery store was out.


Mexican Chorizo

makes 1 pound

1 lb ground pork
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2-2 tsp kosher salt
1 dried cayenne chili pepper
1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp ground chili powder
1 tbsp ground Hungarian hot paprika
1 tbsp ground paprika
1 tbsp leaf oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp organic pure cane sugar
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp water

pair latex gloves for mixing

Mince garlic to this stage.


Sprinkle kosher salt over top of garlic...like this..


Then, using the back of a chef knife, create a paste by working kosher salt into garlic. The garlic paste should look something like this...



Next, place the dried chili pepper into a coffee grinder that is dedicated for grinding spices. I used chiles that I had harvested from Wholesome Foods Organic Ranch& Produce last fall. Grind until the pepper resembles crushed red chili flakes similar to what is used to sprinkle on pizza.


Add ground pork, garlic paste, crushed red chili and remaining ingredients into a medium mixing bowl.

 
Using gloves, mix until well incorporated. I didn't have the option this time, but the chorizo is best if it is allowed to rest 24 hours in the refrigerator.


At this point, use the chorizo in your favorite recipe, or package contents and freeze for use at a later time.


No comments:

Post a Comment