Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts & Cocoa Buttercream Frosting

I'm pressing the "easy button" this morning and posting about some yummy brownies I made last winter.  I've got a few other rhubarb posts to put up, but nothing ready enough without spending hours in front of this laptop.  It's also my day off today and I've got lotsa chores to get done before going back to work tomorrow.  I also thought I'd put this recipe out there as my cousin Sheila was asking about brownie recipes for half sheet pans.  I've only baked this in a single batch, but if you decide to go increase the recipe and bake in a half sheet pan, let me know how it goes.  I also must tell you that I've made these brownies using all-purpose flour and again with Wheat Montana Prairie Gold Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. The latter is my flour of choice. The end result is a denser, chewier texture, of which, I happen to prefer. You also have the added bonus of a more nutritious flour choice, added fiber from a whole grain and the bigger bonus being you would be supporting a local farmer who is dedicated to not using genetically modified (GMO) seeds for all of their wheat planting....can I have an AMEN.


Chewy Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts

makes 9-16 bars (cut 3x3 or 4x4)

1/2 cup organic salted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup organic cane sugar*
2 farm fresh eggs*
1/2 cup flour* (Wheat Montana Prairie Gold Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 

*High Altitude (el. 5,500 ft) adjustments 
1 cup minus 1 tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" square baking dish.

Stir together butter, sugar & vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition. 

Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and gradually add to wet ingredients, just until incorporated. Pour into pan and bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Cocoa Buttercream Frosting

makes 1 cup

3 tbsp organic salted butter
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp organic agave (or honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered cane sugar
1-2 tbsp organic milk

Cream first four ingredients, then add powdered sugar. Add enough milk for spreading consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment